What is Google Summer of Code (GSoC)?
Google Summer of Code is Google’s summer program for students to learn about, and get involved in open source. It’s happening again for the 17th year in 2021! Over 16,000 students from 111 countries have participated.
Freifunk got accepted as umbrella organization for wireless network communities like Ninux, qaul.net, Guifi.net or WLAN Slovenija and communities developing software we extensively use like OpenWRT, OLSR, BATMAN, libremesh or retroshare. See our GSoC’s profile page for more information.
The goals of the program are to:
- Motivate students to begin participating in open source development.
- Help open source projects bring in new, excited developers into their communities who stay long after their GSoC ends.
- Provide students in Computer Science and related fields the opportunity to do work related to their academic pursuits.
- Give students exposure to real-world software development scenarios (e.g., testing, version control, software licensing, mailing-list etiquette, etc.).
- Create more open source code.
How does GSoC work?
Programming online from their home, student participants spend 10 weeks on their projects (about 175 total hrs) earning stipends upon completion of their milestones. Volunteer mentors help students plan their time, answer questions and provide guidance on best practices, project-specific tools, and community norms while helping integrate students into their communities.
Students receive an invaluable learning experience, an introduction to the global FOSS community and something that potential employers love to see on resumes!
Mentoring orgs will gain new contributions & contributors along with recognition from Google and a higher profile for their project.
How to apply for freifunk @ GSoC 2021?
- Pick an idea from our projects page and get in touch with mentors and the community.
- Discuss your ideas and proposals.
- Submit a draft of your proposal early, so we can give you feedback.
- If you have any general questions, join our Matrix room.
Student applications are open March 29 – April 13, 2021.
Who can apply?
In short: you have to be at least 18 years when you register and you need to be enrolled in or accepted into a post-secondary academic program, including a college, university, masters program, PhD program, undergraduate program, licensed coding school. For all details, please see GSoC’s FAQ.
Der Beitrag Freifunk @ Google Summer of Code 2021 erschien zuerst auf Freifunkblog.